Thursday, October 27, 2011

Makery Magic!

Today was the most fun I've had in ages and I went home with all of my fingers!  

I was at a beginners' sewing course run by the lovely people at The Makery, specifically Kate, who was very patient and brilliant at explaining the basics of using a sewing machine.  

I last tried sewing on a machine over 20 years ago and spent most of the lesson yelping in fear as my fingers inched perilously close to the needle and then I managed to ruck all the fabric up in a huge knot.  

Fast forward to a rainy day in Bath and my second attempt was exponentially more successful and Kate helped me to make the most beautiful bag in the world.  If you don't believe me just look:




Kate started by giving us a basic understanding of fabric and grain including how to cut or rip a straight edge.  We chose our fabric from a huge selection and then cut our patterns out and pinned them.  We moved onto setting up the sewing machine, threading the needle and practising stitches before sewing up our bags and even adding a button hole.  

Three hours flew by in the cosy workshop, with an eclectic soundtrack, lovely cup of tea and the company of Rufus the dog.  I don't mind admitting that I could have happily stayed all day and night if they'd let me and I can't wait to book my next course.

The Makery runs courses on sewing, embroidery, knitting, jewellery making, furniture revamping - you name a craft they'll have the workshop for you!

I'd advise anyone, whatever their skill level, to check out their offerings - maybe I'll see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment